Thursday 8 January 2015

Monastery Market: a cozy tour

So friends, i finally ended up not going to Rajasthan as i had written in my previous blog. I was very excited for my trip, but as luck would have it, my health went for a toss. However, i made sure that i would visit some place in Delhi which i had never visited before. My mind went to a few places, like the Safdurjung tomb, or the Garden of 5 senses. In the end i decided to give Monastery market a try.

I had heard about this market a lot from friends, but was never really up for it. I used to feel, it would be just another market, i mean, what the hell would you get there, which you wont get anywhere else? However, i decided to go and give that place a visit, to see what all is available there. 

And so i picked up my tiny sling bag and took the metro. After i got down at Civil Lines station, i took an auto. The autowallah told me that most of the stock that they sell usually comes from different parts of Delhi itself. As someone looking for some unique Tibetan stuff, that came as a bit of a dampener.  But still, i was upbeat to discover a place i had never visited before, and with that thought i reached the entry gate. the gate is located under the ISBT Shahdra link flyover and on first glance it seemed quite an odd entry. As i saw a few auto-rickshaws enter, i could sense a typical chaotic sense which lot of Delhi markets give out. 

As i entered i saw a pretty narrow corridor running through up to about 700-800 metres, The weather was just perfect, with clear blue skies, Sun blessing us with its moderate rays, just the right amount you would need for a Delhi chilly winter day. On both sides of that long but tiny strip of passage, little shops with various winter clothing and accessories were lined up. It was a very colourful sight as shops were lined up selling different "brands". Almost all brands were available, you name them and they would be there. Write from Adidas, to Puma, to Nike, to Cantabil, were available, and at highly decent rates. Of course, those good at bargaining, would be able to get at even more handsome rates. 

I enjoyed my window shopping but didn't really feel like buying anything. It was just the feel of visiting this market that made me enjoy the trip. On that beautiful chilly yet sunny day, i saw a tea vendor walking with his stuff and calling out people for a garam chai. I took a cup of chai and that made my trip even more cozy. I went to a shop which sold gloves. With the winter reaching its peak, i needed a pair of gloves warmer than i had and so i finally bought something...a pair of gloves. 

After going through a set of other accessories, it was time to head home. My trip to Monastery Market was a pretty cozy one, just like the settings. 






No comments:

Post a Comment